I am a tenure-track Lecturer in the Computer Architecture Department of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC). Previously, from 2009 to 2010 I was a Marie Curie postdoc reseacher in the Laboratoire d'Analyse et d'Architecture des Systemes (LAAS) in Toulouse (France). In 2009, from January to June, I was a postdoc researcher in the Laboratoire d'Informatique, de Robotique et de Microélectronique de Montpellier (LIRMM). From 2007 to 2009 I worked as pre-doctoral researcher at the Artificial Intelligence Research Institute (IIIA) of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC).
- Outstanding Ph.D. Award from the Computer Science Department of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB). 2008.
During my Ph.D. my research was focused on Statistical disclosure control (SDC) and Privacy preserving data mining (PPDM). Later on, I started to work on privacy issues related with big data anaytics. Nowadays, I am interesed in the following areas:
- Diclosure Risk metrics and big data. I have been working on record linkage methods and optimal assignment algorithms (Hunagarian algorithm and its derivates) for evaluating the disclosure
risk of big data anonymization techniques.
- J. Herranz, J. Nin and M. Sole, Kd-trees and the real disclosure risks of large statistical databases. Information Fusion (IF), volume 13, issue 4, pages 260-273, Elsevier, 2012. SCI index (2012):2.212. [pdf]
- J. Nin and V. Torra, Towards The Evaluation of Time Series Protection Methods. Information Sciences, Elsevier, volume 179, issue 11, pages 1663-1677, 2009. SCI index (2009):3.095. [pdf]
- J. Nin, J. Herranz and V. Torra, Rethinking Rank Swapping to Decrease Disclosure Risk. Data and Knowledge Engineering (DKE), Elsevier, volume 64, issue 1, Pages 346-364, 2008. SCI index (2008):1.480 [pdf]
- J. Nin, J. Herranz and V. Torra, On the Disclosure Risk of Multivariate Microaggregation. Data and Knowledge Engineering (DKE), Elsevier, volume 67, issue 3, Pages 399-412, 2008. SCI index (2008):1.480. [pdf]
- Microaggregation and k-anonymity methods for big data. Microaggregation is a well-known
method for achieving k-anonymity in numerical databases,
I have been working in several issues related about it, such as
its aplication to big data, attribute selection or its
application to other types of data.
- M. Solé, V. Muntés-Mulero, J. Nin, Efficient Microaggregation Techniques for Large Numerical Data Volumes, International Journal of Information Security (IJIS), volume 11, pages 253-267, Springer, 2012. SCI index (2012):1.094[pdf]. The source code for the kd-tree microaggregation is available under request.
- J. Herranz, J. Nin and M. Solé, More Hybrid and Secure Protection of Statistical Datasets, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, volume 9, issue 5, pages 727-740, IEEE Press, 2012. SCI index (2012):1.409 [pdf]. The source code is available under request.
- J. Nin, J. Herranz and V. Torra, How to Group Attributes in Multivariate Microaggregation. International Journal on Uncertainty, Fuzziness and Knowledge-Based Systems (IJUFKS), World Scientific publishing, volume 16, issue 1, pages 121-138, 2008. SCI index (2008):1.000. [pdf]
- Aggregation functions applied to linked big data.
Aggregation functions are broadly used in many areas, such as
information fusion, record linkage, decision making or privacy
preserving data mining. I have been working on practical
applications of those functions for the big data scenario.
- J. Herranz, J. Nin and M. Sole, Optimal Symbol Alignment Distance: A New Distance for Sequences of Symbols. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), volume 23, issue 10, pages 1541-1554, 2012 IEEE Press.SCI index (20012):2.236. [pdf]. An executable file of OSA distance is available here. The source code is also available under request.
- J. Nin, A. Laurent and P. Poncelet, Speed Up Gradual Rule Mining from Stream Data! A B-Tree and OWA-based Approach. Journal of Intelligent Information Systems (JIIS), Springer, volume 35, issue 3, pages 447-463, 2010. SCI index (2010):1.078. [pdf]
- V. Torra and J. Nin, Record linkage for database integration using fuzzy integrals. International Journal of Intelligent Systems (IJIS), Wiley Wiley Publishers, volume 23, issue 6, pages 715-734, 2008. SCI index (2008):0.429. [pdf]
I edited with J. Herranz the book entitled 'Privacy and Anonymity in Information Management Systems', in Advanced Information and Knowledge Processing Springer Series, 2010.
I organized the following workshops: